Thursday, April 27, 2017

Jesse Watters, Vacation, and Ivanka Trump



From Business Insider:

Fox News' Jesse Watters is reportedly taking a vacation, one day after making what was seen as suggestive remarks about Ivanka Trump.

CNN's Brian Stelter and the CNNMoney Media team reported Wednesday that Watters, who co-hosts "The Five," would be missing two days of his first week in the network's 9 p.m. timeslot.

"I'm going to be taking a vacation with my family, so I'm not going to be here tomorrow," said Watters. "I'll be back on Monday, so don't miss me too much."

On a Tuesday night segment in which Watters was speaking on Trump's appearance at a women's conference, Watters commented on the way President Donald Trump's daughter held a microphone.

"It's funny, the left says they really respect women, and then when given an opportunity to respect a woman like that, they boo and hiss," he said. "So I don't really get what's going on here, but I really liked how she was speaking into that microphone," Watters said.

On Wednesday morning, Watters denied accusations that his comment carried lewd overtones.
Watters tweeted:



I really don't think Watters should be punished for the remark. I think way too much is being made out of it.

I happened to see that segment of the show on Tuesday and I didn't think he was saying anything lewd. That's not the way I interpreted it.

Earlier in the day, I had seen the footage of Ivanka Trump speaking and the ensuing negative reaction from the audience. It was all over the Internet. WATCH IVANKA GET BOOED AND HISSED!!!

I thought the audience behaved badly. I also thought Ivanka's manner of speaking into the microphone was a little strange, like she was whispering, using a voice that seemed more appropriate for a perfume commercial. That was my reaction.




So a bunch of people pounced and claimed to be horrified by Watters and his comments about how Ivanka spoke.

And FOX News is sending him on a little vacation for that? Really?

Also on that Tuesday show, the panel discussed the Nordstrom jeans with the fake mud. Dana Perino and Kimberly Guilfoyle talked about the sort of men women like. Perino said, "Women actually like men who do outdoor work, not men who pretend to do outdoor work."

Guilfoyle agreed. She commented that the appeal of the look of the jeans comes from the fact that women like "a guy that actually knows how to use his hands."

That remark was met with chuckles from the panel, especially from Bob Beckel. Guilfoyle had to know what she was saying had a sexual innuendo.

Why wasn't that an issue?

That was on the same show. At the time, I thought people would call for the whole panel to be fired.

It's crazy.

Watters' remark was not clearly lewd.

No benefit of the doubt given anymore?

I guess not at FOX News.




No comments: